Brockton, Mass. — Court Finds Probable Cause to Charge Mayor Moises Rodrigues With Assault and Battery
Brockton Mayor Moises Rodrigues Faces Potential Assault & Battery Charge After Court Hearing
Brockton, Mass. — A court hearing Friday brought renewed attention to allegations involving Brockton Mayor Moises Rodrigues and a teenage student, with Massachusetts State Police presenting evidence they say establishes probable cause for an assault and battery charge.
The hearing was held at Wrentham District Court as a clerk-magistrate considers whether the criminal complaint against Rodrigues should move forward. The case stems from an alleged interaction between Rodrigues and a 17-year-old Brockton High School student during a city parade in May.

According to testimony presented during the hearing, State Police investigators reviewed video, photographs and witness statements concerning the interaction. A State Police captain argued that the evidence supports charging the mayor with assault and battery.
The allegations became widely known in June after the student’s mother interrupted Rodrigues during Brockton High School’s graduation ceremony. The woman confronted the mayor publicly and accused him of wrongdoing involving her daughter.
Rodrigues has denied wrongdoing. During Friday’s hearing, the mayor said he did not remember meeting or touching the student. He described the parade as a highly energetic event where he interacted with numerous people and took photographs with residents and children.
The mayor’s defense team challenged the prosecution’s interpretation of the evidence, arguing that the video does not establish the conduct alleged and that portions of the testimony presented against Rodrigues were based on hearsay.
State Police, however, presented evidence they say shows Rodrigues placing an arm around the student and whispering in her ear while she was participating in the parade. Investigators also described statements from witnesses who observed the interaction or spoke with the student afterward.
The case has attracted additional attention because another Brockton family has separately accused Rodrigues of inappropriate physical contact with a high school student at a different school-related event. Rodrigues has denied wrongdoing in connection with the allegations.
Earlier in the summer, a temporary restraining order required Rodrigues to stay 100 yards away from the first student for two weeks. A judge later declined to extend that order, finding that the evidence presented did not meet the legal requirements for continuing it.
Importantly, Rodrigues has not been convicted of a crime, and the clerk-magistrate’s review is focused on whether there is probable cause to issue the criminal charge. A decision had not yet been announced following the August 7 hearing.
Rodrigues has also said he does not intend to resign as mayor. Following the hearing, he said he plans to continue serving the people of Brockton while the legal process unfolds.
The clerk-magistrate will review the evidence presented by both sides before making a decision on whether the assault and battery complaint should proceed.
Plimoth Today will continue to follow this developing story as additional information becomes available.
Share Your Community News
Have a local story, event, or community update? Visit the Neighborhood Scout where users submit posts about their communities and local neighborhoods!